POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not? : Re: Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:14:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not?
From: John Mellerick
Date: 28 Aug 2002 17:55:41
Message: <3d6d46dd@news.povray.org>
Hi Thorsten,

> You would have gained more by reading the documentation first and to try
> understand it rather than building a wrong mental model of how POV-Ray
works
> to then develop a model how it should work that misses most important
> points.

I did read the documentation, and it seemed to suggest to me that the
arealight was, at base, just a rectangular array of point light sources. I
understand (I think) how the adaptive and jitter keywords change the simple
rectangular arrangement of lights, but these were disabled for my main
tests, and so shouldn't have had any effect over the basic grid of lights.

>While different shapes for area light sources are nice, that is the
> only thing your SDL code provides.

Maybe you misunderstand - my macro lightsource wasn't designed to be better
than the Povray area light, and it wasn't designed as a replacement, it was
merely designed to replicate what the docs seem to say the area light does.
I didn't use the third dimension in my tests, and I only coded it in so I
could play around with it myself.

> However, as most of the image and SDL links are broken it is hard to say
> more in detail...

Yeah, sorry about that, the page was working fine in my browser so I assumed
it worked for everyone. So I've updated the page by removing the spaces from
all the image and linked file names. I'd be greatful if you'd have a look at
it again.

All the best,

John